Paul instructed Timothy on the qualifications leaders in the church should have. In doing so, he revealed to us 2 things. Why the church was important and what the mystery of our Christian faith is.
Without question, this is the great mystery of our faith: Christ was revealed in a human body and vindicated by the Spirit. He was seen by angels and announced to the nations. He was believed in throughout the world and taken to heaven in glory. 1 Timothy 3:16
Paul told Timothy the importance of his choices for pastors and deacons. He wasn’t choosing people to lead a social club. No, the church is much more than that.
This is the church of the living God, which is the pillar and foundation of the truth. 1 Timothy 3:15
In Colossians, we are told that Christ is the head of the church, which is his body. We also know from reading Paul’s epistle to the Corinthians, we each make up the different parts of His body.
The human body has many parts, but the many parts make up one whole body. So it is with the body of Christ. 1 Corinthians 12:12
Paul also told Timothy there is a great mystery in our Christian faith. What is that mystery? It is a statement that we must either believe or reject. We must accept it by faith or walk away from it.
When I was a young child, my family attended a United Methodist Church. In Sunday School we learned the Apostles Creed. It is a collection of statements that we believed. At the time, it didn’t mean much to me, I was just a kid.
How The Mystery Of Our Faith Is Revealed
After I read verse 16 of our chapter for today, I realized that this verse is God’s creed. It is the foundation of the church, the body of Christ. A mystery only revealed through faith.
This Creed isn’t based on what we believe. It is, however, the very foundation of our belief. The mystery of our faith always has been and always will be Jesus!
Look at what it says.
- Christ – revealed in a human body. We all love Christmas. Why? Let’s set aside the gift-giving and the celebrations for a moment. The time of the humanity of Jesus became revealed.
- Vindicated by the Holy Spirit. When lifted out of the water at His baptism, the Holy Spirit landed on Him as a Dove.
- Seen by angels and announced to the nations. Again, let’s go back to the Christmas story. Angels filled the sky and announced the arrival of the Christ child. They also ministered to Him at the end of His 40 day fast.
- Believed in throughout the world. Jews and Gentiles alike believed in Him. Roman soldiers and Samaritans believed in Him. His name has circulated around the world.
- And taken to heaven in glory. The disciples watched Him as he disappeared out of sight. But He is coming back again, He promised!
Encouragement For You
This devotion is to encourage all who believe in Him. Maybe you have family members who think you are somewhat unusual. Or people you work with who think you are a little fanatical. Let them think that.
You see, they will never fully understand until they too accept the great mystery of the Christian faith.
Lord, we believe and accept Jesus. Vindicated by the Spirit, seen by angels, and announced to the nations. We believe He arose to heaven and will return again.
Take the time to read the chapter of 1 Timothy 3.
Check out these related posts called How To Supplement Your Faith In God. And You Need To Know How Important The Shield Is.
Featured Image Photo by Tima Miroshnichenko from Pexels
To receive each new devotional post delivered to your inbox, subscribe below by giving us your first name and email address.
3 thoughts on “The Mystery Of Our Faith”
Very nicely written. Yes. I enjoy reading other faith blogs and share in the testimony of other Christians. God bless.
Thanks Jodi, I’m glad you are enjoying them. I appreciate you sharing them with others
This article is unto much edification